Membership of the Credit Union
Joining the credit union is easy. You may become a member of St. Francis Credit union if you are living or working within our common bond area. There is a nominal entrance fee of € 1.27 and you may start by purchasing shares in the credit union (€10.00). You should then continue to save regularly, even in small amounts, which will create the habit of saving and add to the savings pool.
Every person who saves in the credit union is an owner, and has a say in its running. Each member has one vote, because as a democratic financial co-operative, the credit union is controlled by its members.
What is the common bond & why is it so important?
The common bond is the factor which unites the members of a credit union – it is what members have in common. Because of the common bond, all members have the good of their community at heart, they know and trust each other.
The common bond ensures that the savings of the members of the community are available to fellow members as loans. It also enables members to know each other and to make credit judgements on character and personal record rather than on commercial risk.
In Ireland the most common bonds are:
- Community bond – where all the members live, and in some cases work, in the locality.
- Occupational bond – where all the members are in the same profession or workplace
Opening an Account
Joining St. Francis Credit Union is easy once you are in the common bond and have the relevant documentation.
In line with current legislation – CRIMINAL JUSTICE (MONEY LAUNDERING AND TERRORIST FINANCING) ACT 2010 – you must provide the following information:
- Evidence of Identification – One of the following is required
- Current Valid Passport
- Current Valid Driver’s Licence
- Current Valid I.D. Card (With Photo & Signature)
- ML 10 Form
- Evidence of Address Verification – One of the following is required
- Original Recent Household Bill
- Original Bank/Building Society Statement
- Evidence of PPS Number – One of the following is required
- Social Services Card
- Correspondence from Revenue
- European Health Insurance care
- Official Payslips / Pension Book / P60 / P45
All Documents have to be valid within the last 3 months
Under 16 years
If anyone under 16 years wishes to apply for membership
- Birth Certificate or Passport for child
- Official Evidence of PPS Number
- Valid Evidence of Identification and Evidence of Address are required for parent. e.g examples above